Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gemstones from the Earth

Are gemstones really from the earth?
Gemstones are from the earth! Every artist believes differently in their creativity and their medium to work in. Early-on I only wanted to work with true, vibrant colors and genuine stones. I didn't want any man-made medium, plastic or plated metals. During this particular Post, I will try to show the reader just how I came about to work with real gemstones. Also referred to as semi-precious gemstones. From the Earth to you. My first image is a Lake Superior Agate from Glacial Deposits in Southeastern Nebraska. Now this is not the agate I use in my jewelry, however, the similarity is awesome. You will see just how and why I became interested in using a part of the Earth for my jewelry medium.

1900s Agate or 2009 Agates, You Deside
Agates were formed over a billion years ago, and then washed away during the ice age, leaving the "Lake Superior Agates". The Red Line Agate is one. The one shown in my blog is the Lake Superior Agate found in southeastern Nebraska. Of course, this isn't where I purchase my agates -- but look at the close resemblance. Modern day gemstone dealers have named this the "Red Line Agate". And I have used it in my jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment